Before Intravenous Anesthesia
Intravenous Sedation or General Anesthesia
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes. It is best not to wear “flip-flops”, as they are unstable and fall off easily.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with your surgeon prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages for 24 hours prior to your surgery as this could interfere with our medications and be unsafe. Your surgery may be cancelled or treatment under local anesthesia only may occur if you consume alcohol within 24 hours of your surgery.
- Do not use marijuana products for at least 72 hours prior to your surgery as this could interfere with our medications and be unsafe. Your surgery may be cancelled or treatment under local anesthesia only may occur if you consume alcohol within 72 hours of your surgery.